top of page

Paid Family & Medical Leave info


Most current W-2 employees in the Commonwealth—with limited exemptions—are eligible so long as they meet the financial eligibility requirements set under the unemployment insurance program.

Also eligible are:

• Self-employed individuals who have chosen to opt-in to the state program. • Contractors who receive a 1099-MISC tax form and whose employer has a workforce that has over 50% of individuals receiving a 1099-MISC form. • Former employees who have been unemployed for less than 27 weeks. • Employees of a municipal district, political subdivision, housing authority, regional school district, or regional planning commission, which has chosen to opt-in to the paid family leave program.

The maximum length of Leave is variable dependent on the following circumstances:

• 12 weeks to bond with a child during the first 12 months after the child’s birth, adoption, or foster care placement. • 12 weeks to manage any needs that take place immediately after a family member is deployed to a foreign country or is notified of an impending deployment in a foreign country. • 20 weeks to manage your own serious health condition. • 26 weeks of family leave to care for a family member who is a current member of the Armed Forces due to an injury or illness that occurred as a result of their service.

As of July 1st, 2021, these benefits will expand to include:

• 12 weeks to care for a family member with a serious health condition. Benefits are based on the worker’s average weekly wage over their two highest-earning quarters during the previous year. To calculate weekly benefits, the State uses the following formula. •80% of the first $715.83 of a worker’s average weekly wage, plus •50% of any amount of their average weekly wage over $715.83, up to the state benefit cap

Weekly benefits are currently capped at $850 per week.

For instructions on how to apply, visit:

For Basic Eligibility Requirements, visit:

For a Financial Eligibility and Expected Benefit Calculator, visit:

To opt-in for self-employed individuals, visit:

To reach the Department of Family and Medical Leave, call (833) 344-7365.

To reach the Department of Revenue (for questions about contributions and exemptions, call (617) 466-3950.


bottom of page